Monday, December 6, 2010

Conviction or Accusation?

This one and a half year-old post at Ray Ortlund's blogsite came to my attention. It is about how a Christian can discern if he is being convicted by the Holy Spirit or being accused by the Enemy. Ray offers these helpful guidelines:
1) The Holy Spirit puts his finger on a specific sin I have committed, something concrete I can own and confess, but the accusations of Satan are vague and simply demoralizing.

2)The Holy Spirit shows me Christ, the mighty Friend of sinners, but the devil wants me spiraling down into negative self-focus.

3) The Holy Spirit leads me to a threshold of new life, but the devil wants to paralyze me where I am.

4) The Holy Spirit brings peace of heart along with a new hatred of sin, so that I bow before Jesus in reconsecration, but the devil offers peace of mind with smug relief, so that I fold my arms and say, “There, that’s over with.”

5) The Holy Spirit helps me to be so open to God that I allow him to control the conversation, but the devil tempts me to take off the table certain questions I just don’t want God to talk to me about.
    (Source)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Commenting Rules:

    1. No trolling or baiting; submit relevant responses to appropriate blog-posts.
    2. No name calling, bashing, flaming or posting of any ad hominems or personal attacks or insults of any kind
    3. No spamming, advertising or soliciting.
    4. No littering in the comment-box (multi-posting or cross-posting).
    5. No blasphemous post and no links to occultic and cultic materials and immoral sites.
    6. No negative one-liners.
    7. No impersonating
    8. No heckling; harrassments
    9. No posting in all caps; no posting in all bold letters
    10. If you're posting Anonymously, please provide a name so you can be addressed properly.

    *All mature, sensible, and honest comments are welcome and encouraged. Comments will be filtered by the blog-owner before granting them to be published.