Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Public Square (Part 3)

III. Some tips for a friendly approach in apologetics.

I apologize if I failed to post the 3rd installment of the apologetics series. I was busy preparing for the dialogue with a Seventh Day Adventist youth minister (I will post an article once the video was uploaded).

Here I will share some friendly apologetics tips based on my experience in discussing in the forum page of Bereans Apologetics Reasearch Ministry (www.thebereans.net)

1. Think about the hearers (or the readers) and not just to win the discussion.

Because of our eagerness to defend and share the truth to others sometimes we forget our purpose. That is to share the word and the love of Christ. We are not called to win a debate or a discussion but to show to the people what really the Word of God is saying in the questions of life. One of my friend (which is a pastor) when I am asking for prayers and links that I can read about Seventh Day Adventism for the preparation for my dialogue. He told me to always look at the audience and not to my opponent. 

The audience (or readers) need to see a Christ like and humble men and women that will declare the truth. As Apostle Peter said 

1 Peter 3:15
15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

We should give an answer, but make it gentle and with respect.

2. Keep in short and simple.

Some of us want to sound like a scholar with greek and hebrew words. I am not against in using the original languages of the Scriptures but if the hearers (or readers) were not Bible School or Seminary students I don't see that using jargons are relevant into the discussion. People don't need to hear those terms, THEY NEED THE TRUTH AND THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND IT.

In the context of internet forums there are readers that are having a hard time with lengthy posts. Some of those have only one point but the author seems want to play around with jargons and terms that are alien to modern minds.

3. Be in love.

Cheesy ? hahaha. What I mean is don't forget that our purpose is to share the love of Christ. In the words of Apostle Paul.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Knowledge is important but we need to communicate it with love.Truth is important but we need to communicate it with love.

Godspeed to all !!!!

-Danes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting Rules:

1. No trolling or baiting; submit relevant responses to appropriate blog-posts.
2. No name calling, bashing, flaming or posting of any ad hominems or personal attacks or insults of any kind
3. No spamming, advertising or soliciting.
4. No littering in the comment-box (multi-posting or cross-posting).
5. No blasphemous post and no links to occultic and cultic materials and immoral sites.
6. No negative one-liners.
7. No impersonating
8. No heckling; harrassments
9. No posting in all caps; no posting in all bold letters
10. If you're posting Anonymously, please provide a name so you can be addressed properly.

*All mature, sensible, and honest comments are welcome and encouraged. Comments will be filtered by the blog-owner before granting them to be published.